Originally, when I set up my blog, my purpose was to learn Wordpress and build a Wordpress plug-in. Alas, that went on hold.
Recently, I’ve joined International Network of Hearts, an organization dedicated to stopping human trafficking – especially as it pertains to the San Diego / Tijuana border where I live. My goal is to help INOHearts to:
- Cast their vision to volunteers, supporters and followers
- Communicate more effectively both inside and outside the organization
- Establish and promote their brand identity across all communication channels
- Scale from a small team to a team with hundreds of volunteers
- But, most of all, save hundreds of young girls from a life of sexual slavery
As a software developer learning Ruby on Rails and relying so heavily on the blogs of others like Railscasts or Signal vs. Noise, I’m motivated to share and curate whatever best practices I learn for something that I’m equally passionate about. Here are just some of the challenges we face:
- Rebrand our Wordpress web sites in both English and Spanish
- Manage our social media channels in both English and Spanish
- Empowering our entire team to actively participate in our social media efforts
- Promote our brand via email and voice
As our team develops best practices, I will publish them here on my blog and maybe (just maybe) we’ll actually learn to use Wordpress in the process.